Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pretend Play: Wooden Post Office/Bank

Our next project was a wooden POST OFFICE / BANK. We actually finished this back in June, but I didn't have time to post it before we went on our month long vacation!

I wanted a piece that could be "multi-purpose", since we are quickly running out of room! I decided to modify Ana's Library from Grace's Town into this piece.
http://ana-white.com/2009/11/plan-library-base-for-graces-town.html

Here is the wood cut, ready to be assembled:

This is the basic "shelf unit" built, waiting for the "window" and "vertical dividers":

I built a basic "frame" for the plexiglas window, and then reinforced the inside with pieces of 1x2:

I found 18x24 plexiglas at Lowes, and attached it to the inside of the frame (after painting) with screws through the plexiglas:



With help from my husband (this window is BIG!), I attached the the frame to the base with metal "L" shape brackets and some "blocks" screwed together for stability:

I added vertical dividers to the shelves which makes it into a POST OFFICE. I also trimed out the front of each box with 1x2's to finish it off. At this point I painted the front white, and then stained the inside and countertop. I also added a flat wooden MDF panel to the front (not pictured, held on by mirror clips) so that the unit could be "converted" to a "BANK" by sliding the panel down the front and covering the "post office boxes":

The front has a "drop" door. This can be used as a place to drop "mail" or "bank money"!:


I accessorized with business signs (from Lowes), my daughters' cash register, a "money box" from Target, and some junk "mail". I even had an old "post office box" (converted into a bank) from my childhood that she confiscated for play. She loves it!


***I am NOT LIABLE for any plans featured here. Please take every precaution and use your own discretion to make sure these toys are safe for children to play with them.

3 comments:

  1. wow! It looks great! I have been wanting to try this project for a while now but haven't had the courage! What kind of wood did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - sorry for the delay (Santa's workshop over here, and I'm not getting emails from the blog - YIKES!).... I used plain old PINE boards from Depot. They are the least expensive option, and with paint and stain, will last for generations! This piece is EXTREMELY heavy, so it is quite sturdy and durable for play, with no WAY to knock it over! I hope you like it, and please send ANA a pic when you're done as it is her original plan! Thanks for the comment!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or a question - I don't bite and would love to write back, especially if you'd like help or have questions!!