SHOPPING LIST: (You may have some of these pieces on-hand as SCRAP)
2 - 1x4@ 18" (for sides of bookshelf)
3 - 1x4@ 11.5" (for bookshelves)
1 - 1x4@ 14.5" (For top of bookshelf)
1 - firstname.lastname@example.org" (for bottom front toe kick)
1 piece of MDF @ 17"h x 12.75"w - for backing of shelf (****if desired - I left mine open)
Air nailer / 1.5" Nails
tape measure / pencil
small hand saw
120 Grit sand paper
wood putty to fill holes and knots
Paint or stain to finish your piece (if desired)
1. Cut out all of your pieces of wood to the sizes specified in the shopping list.
2. Lay out your 2- 18" side pieces (side by side, so that they are lined up), and mark where your shelves will be placed. (This keeps the shelves level when nailing them on later.)
My shelves were placed at the following measurements:
Lowest Shelf = 1.5" from bottom of bookshelf sides to BOTTOM of lowest shelf
(this allows room for the toe kick to be nailed onto the bottom FRONT of the bookshelf - it is 1.5" high)
Middle Shelf = 7.5" from bottom of bookshelf to BOTTOM of middle shelf
Top Shelf = 12.75" from bottom of bookshelf to BOTTOM of top shelf
Here I am figuring out where I want my shelves to sit (based on how tall my books and accessories are):
4. Stand your shelf up and toe nail DOWN THROUGH your lowest shelf into the 1x2 toe kick for stability:
5. Nail on your middle shelf:
6. Now nail on your top shelf:
7. Nail on your TOP (14.5") to your bookshelf:
9. When the wood putty is dry, sand the wood until smooth.
10. Stain or paint to finish as desired. Once dry.....ACCESSORIZE!!
I made it the same height as the dining hutch so that they can be used together!
Ceramic Pitcher, White ceramic bowls, Mortar & Pestle, 2 Wood Bowls, 3 Glass Jars = World Market (see previous post for details and pricing)
Bird Cage = Michaels
3 Glass Corked "Science" Jars = local library
Ship in a Bottle = MakingFriends.com
Glass Oil Lamp = 4" tall (Green, Blue or Amber), $2.95/each
I'm pretty sure this lamp would "really work" if I tried!! SO COOL!! VERY fast shipping!
Please feel free to use these plans to build furniture, for sale or for pleasure, but please do not sell the PLANS as your "own". Please also give credit to me and link back here! I hope you enjoy them!!
***I am NOT LIABLE for any plans featured here. Please take every precaution and use your own discretion to make sure these toys are safe for children to play with them.