Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pretend Play: Wooden "Gas Pump"

I want to thank Ana White at http://ana-white.com/ ......if it weren't for you, Ana, I would never have been brave enough to try this on my own, or to have the skills (which you taught me!) to complete it!!! My daughter and I THANK YOU!!!

I have had this half-made for months! I finally got serious yesterday and finished the gas pump. I realized that I made this from entirely salvaged parts and scrap wood...so it was FREE! As soon as it was dry, my daughter HAD to play with it....

I started with a simple "box" out of 1x10's (sides, top, bottom) and then added a 1x4 stile to the top and a 1x3 stile to the bottom. I then glued and nailed a piece of MDF inside the box to create the "face" of the gas pump:
**The "key pad" is a Gerber (plastic) food lid painted black and an old cell phone key pad glued to the top. ***UPDATE: I originally used hot glue to adhere the cell phone pad to the plastic Gerber lid, but within 2 days my daughter had pulled it off.  I had read great reviews on GORILLA GLUE, so I purchased some and used that to glue the cellphone pad onto the plastic lid.  THIS WORKED GREAT! It is VERY solidly "on there".  (I have not been paid or given free product.  This is simply my opinion.)
**The "gas selection" buttons, "readout screen", "attendant speaker" and "card reader" are all pieces of hobby wood.
**The CHEVRON logo is printed from Google images and decoupaged onto the front.
**I used Behr Polar Bear in Semi Gloss to paint the piece, although I wish I could have used silver and black!

After painting the piece, I mounted a 45 degree ABS elbow (2"? pipe) to the side of the gas pump for the pump nozzle to rest inside of. I then placed the gas pump nozzle into the elbow (to estimate placement of hole), and then drilled a hole for the "hose" (rope) to go. (I covered the hole with a bottle cap that I hot glued in place to make it look nicer, and fed the rope through to the inside. I then knotted the rope, and sealed the end with a zip tie and blow torch to prevent fraying:
 


I made the pump nozzle from some "old contractor parts" my husband had in the garage: electrical 45 degree PVC sweep (the "nozzle end") and an electrical 90 degree pull box (the "handle end"):


Now we're ready to swipe the debit card....

punch in our PIN number.....

and "fill 'er up"!

Happy Building!!

Please feel free to use these plans to build furniture, for sale or for pleasure, but please do not sell the PLANS as your "own".  Please also give credit to me and link back here!  I hope you enjoy them!!

***I am NOT LIABLE for any plans featured here. Please take every precaution and use your own discretion to make sure these toys are safe for children to play with them.

6 comments:

  1. This is SOOOOOO cute! I love that your daughter is playing with it! I have two little boys who each have a cozy coupe...I think they need a gas pump!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment!!! My daughter ADORES her gas pump, and can't go the the "store" without filling up her cozy coupe first thing!! If SHE loves it that much, I'm SURE your two boys would spend EVEN MORE time playing with it! I hope that you enjoy making it (remember that you can substitute other pieces if you can't find what I've used, or make it your own) and please leave me a comment if you have ANY questions!! ENJOY!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this is adorable! My daughter has a Jeep. I've been searching for D.I.Y. gifts all day for my little one. This is perfect! Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolores - Thank you for the kind words!! My daughter and I had a BLAST making the gas pump, and she still plays with it almost every day. It's pretty funny watching her making "beep" sounds when she "puts in her credit card PIN"! Our kids are watching us.....EVERY MOMENT!! I hope that you enjoy making this with your daughter as well! ENJOY!! Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great job! I'm a fan of knock off wood too. I think I'll have to check to see what leftovers I have in my garage because I must build this!! My kids are getting Cozy Coupes for Christmas, and they would love a pump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. reading mother: I LOVE Ana and KOW - she's awesome!! You can use whatever leftovers you have...it would be easy to modify this plan to use boards of other widths. You just need to use that same width for top/bottom/sides, and then your face plate and MDF widths would change. The design elements would stay the same unless you wanted to be creative and substitute those, too!! :) My daughter LOVES this gas pump, so it would likely be a welcome addition to a Cozy Coupe Christmas! Let me know how it turns out PLEASE? :) Merry Christmas! Kristi

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or a question - I don't bite and would love to write back, especially if you'd like help or have questions!!