Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pretend Play: Wood Play Kitchen

This wood play kitchen was a "much needed toy".

























Last fall, I LITERALLY stumbled upon Ana White at
http://ana-white.com/2009/11/plan-the-cutest-play-stove-ever.html

She has plans on her site to build, from scratch, every type of furniture you could think of...and the plans are FREE!! I immediately set out to build my first project, a wood play kitchen, to gift to my 3 nieces at Christmas.

I started out with Ana's plan (which is originally for a stove), but I knew that I wanted to modify it and add a "sink". We were off to Home Depot, toddler in tow, to find the list of items Ana suggests.

A pile of wood, and 2 hours later, we were ready to start building. I first marked all of the boards to Ana's specs...remember toddler in tow. I then had my mom keep an eye on the toddler while I cut all of the pieces and laid them out for building.
I also pre-painted the boards so that I wouldn't struggle getting it perfect. I also cut out the hole for the "sink" (an 8x8 brownie pan), and nailed the countertop to the backsplash. Then I painted those two pieces with 2 coats of brown "stone-look" paint (looks like granite), and let dry overnight. I also spray painted a wooden "L" silver (faucet), and two wooden "people" from the craft store (faucet handles).


The next day, my mother held the pieces while I used an air nailer to secure them together. (toddler napping...)


The following day, I was able to start working on the oven door. We couldn't find the size acrylic that Ana calls for in her plan, so I used what I COULD find and modified the size of the door. This led to some hair pulling at first, but I eventually figured it out. I also placed a scrap piece of wood vertically on the top shelf, visually dividing the space so that it "looked" more like an "oven". I then nailed a scrap piece of 1x2 to the front face so that the oven door would have a place to "close". I used metal "L" brackets to hold the oven door securely at each corner, and plastic mirror clips to hold the acrylic onto the inside of the oven door.


I then added hinges to the inside of the door and attached the door to the frame. Next came "hardware". I had some leftover stainless steel handles from a kitchen remodel, so I used one as the oven door handle and one on the side of the kitchen to hold "towels"! (not pictured) I then added the faucet, faucet handles, and sink. The "burners" are Folgers coffee lids. The last piece of hardware added was a red plastic cap (coke bottle) onto the oven door as the temperature knob. I also nailed on the MDF backing to the entire unit (not pictured...forgot!).

Overall, this project was VERY fun and quite satisfying to build. The 3 nieces and my daughter had quite a "time" playing with it at our gift exchange! This project just gave me a MAJOR desire to build MORE, MORE, MORE!!!

***I am NOT LIABLE for any plans featured here. Please take every precaution and use your own discretion to make sure these toys are safe for children to play with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or a question - I don't bite and would love to write back, especially if you'd like help or have questions!!