Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pretend Play: Wooden Washing Machine

Once again, this project is from Ana (at http://ana-white.com/2009/12/plans-toy-washing-machine.html). I asked her for a plan for a kids' wooden washing machine.

Wooden washing machine toys can be found online at places like Amazon for around $200-$300! I couldn't pay THAT, so I wanted to BUILD it myself. It cost me about $20 to make, and my daughter LOVES IT!!!

First, I managed to get all of the main frame together according to Ana's plans. This plan was SO EASY!!

Then, my husband cut out the round hole in the center of the "door frame" with his Dremel router. (He did this for me because we have a toddler that likes to "help"!) I also nailed that door frame and top into place.

I chose Rustoleum Metallic Spray paint in Titanium Silver. Make sure to PRIME ALL PIECES first before you spray paint.....the wood just EATS up the paint!! Allow to dry outside overnight because the fumes will be STRONG!

My husband also used his Dremel router to make the door. He helped me to attach it with hinges after the unit was painted. We also attached a scrap piece of acrylic to the back of the washer door with screws. I then added two vitamin bottle caps to the front for control knobs, and a cabinet pull to the washer door for a handle.

My daughter then stuffed it full of her clothes.... :)

Here's the finished piece with the kitchen and fridge!
***I am NOT LIABLE for any plans featured here. Please take every precaution and use your own discretion to make sure these toys are safe for children to play with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or a question - I don't bite and would love to write back, especially if you'd like help or have questions!!